Aerobic Culture and Susceptibility Test (Urine) *Gram Stain not included; add-on test
Aerobic Culture and Susceptibility Test (Urine)
*Gram Stain not included; add-on test
Volume/Quantity:≥ 2 mL (straight catheter)
≥ 5 mL (indwelling catheter)
Schedule of Collection:Prior to antimicrobial therapy
A. Straight catheter:
1. Clean the urethral opening with soap and water.
2. Allow to pass ̴15 mL of urine. Collect in a sterile leak-proof container.
B. Indwelling catheter
1. Collect only from patient w/c are symptomatic.
2. Disinfect the catheter collection port with 70% alcohol.
3. Clamp catheter below port allow to collect in tubing for 20-30 min.
4. Use needle and syringe to aseptically collect 5-10 ml of urine aseptically and transfer in a sterile leak-proof container.
Storage: If ≤ 2 hours, store at Room Temperature
: If > 2 hours, refrigerate at 4°C (maximum of 24 hours)
Handling: Observe Triple Packaging Guidelines
Transport: If specimen is ≤ 2 hours collected, transport at Room Temperature
: Otherwise, transport with ice
Cut off Day and Time:Not Applicable
Note: during weekends, holidays and after office hours, specimens are received in the clinical laboratory