RITM, through its Laboratory Research Division (LRD), provides technical expertise in the laboratory diagnosis and characterization of infectious agents in the country. LRD is ably supported by competent researchers, well-equipped facilities, and highly-proficient lab staff. We are guided by policies and procedures that give premium to quality and timely results.
RITM hosts National Reference Laboratories and World Health Organization (WHO) – recognized laboratories. These lead centers are tasked with performing laboratory research, monitoring of disease occurrence and spread (surveillance), and rapid outbreak response.
Furthermore, we extend our expertise by helping other laboratories in the country. We conduct training programs and provide guidance documents and technical assistance. We also have programs to ensure the quality of testing of other infectious disease laboratories.
We gear all these activities in support of DOH’s thrust in the prevention and control of infectious and tropical diseases of public health importance.
Our laboratory services, trainings and researches are carried out in various specialized facilities:
- Antimicrobial Resistance Surveillance Reference Laboratory
- Animal Research Laboratory
- Medical Entomology Laboratory – Insectary
- Medical Entomology Laboratory – Entomological Taxonomy
- Medical Entomology Laboratory – Bioefficacy Testing
- Immunology Laboratory
- Microbiology – Bacterial Enterics
- Microbiology – Mycology Laboratory
- Microbiology – Routine Aerobic Culture Laboratory
- Molecular Biology Laboratory
- Parasitology – microscopy confirmation of malaria and other parasites, molecular testing (PCR) for malaria and genotyping for drug resistance, serological antibody testing for surveillance and research of selected parasitic NTDs, microscopy training, quality control lot testing of malaria RDTs and external quality assessment of malaria microscopy (as a WHO Collaborating Center for Malaria Diagnosis)
- Pathology – Routine Clinical Laboratory
- Pathology – Histopathology/Autopsy
- Pathology – Electron Microscopy
- P2+ Facility
- Special Pathogens Laboratory
- Transfusion-Transmitted Infection Reference Laboratory
- Tuberculosis/Mycobacteriology Laboratory
- RITM Training Center Laboratories
- Virology Serology Laboratory
- Virology Cell Culture Laboratory (Virology Annex 1)
- Molecular Virology Laboratory (Virology Annex 2)