RITM, in collaboration with FFIIAPP* Cooperación Española, FORMIT, Ospedale Luigi Sacco, and ASST Fatebenefratelli Sacco, hosted the first workshop under Project 46: Design Experts Team (DET) – Training Course on Facility Design, Construction, Operation, and Management of Microbiological Laboratories on February 6-10, 2017, at the Training Center Lecture Rooms 2 and 3. The event was funded by the European Union (EU) and the Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear (CBRN) Centers of Excellence, with Dr. Fedelino Malbas serving as the CBRN National Coordinator.
The Project 46: DET Workshop was facilitated by Engr. Mark Wheatley of EU, Dr. Sabai Pityu of National University of Singapore, and Arch. Mitsy Canto-Jacobs of Health Education Research Associates (HERA) Laboratory Planners in Maryland, and Mr. Mirko Palestrino of Sacco.
The workshop consisted of eight modules:
- Introduction to the microbiological science, biosafety, and biosecurity;
- Principles of basic laboratory design and introduction to the principles of containment;
- Planning, procurement, design, and construction of biological;
- Commissioning and handover of basic laboratory facilities;
- Operation, management, maintenance, certification/accreditation, and validation of laboratory facilities;
- Laboratory biosafety equipment (primary containment);
- Avoiding/ solving commonly encountered problems in basic laboratories; and
- Introduction to the containment laboratory – Biosafety Level 3.
The training workshop was attended by 34 participants from 8 ASEAN member countries which include Brunei, Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam. The next Project 46: DET workshop is set to be conducted in Hanoi, Vietnam.
*Fundación Internacional y para Iberoamérica de Administración y Políticas Públicas